Journal Entry #1: What qualities should I have as a 21st-Century Teacher?

        Becoming a 21st-century teacher means adapting to the 4th Industrial Revolution, which means navigating various technologies while retaining traditional classroom characteristics. 
           The first characteristic I plan to employ is technological proficiency. This proficiency entails that I must be able to navigate desktop and browser applications needed in the online classroom. One does not have to be a master of every technology out there but must be proficient in those necessary for teaching. I want to be able to answer whatever questions my students will have for me in terms of technology.
      The following characteristics I want to embody are being compassionate yet fair. Students experience different types of adversity, which differ in quantity and intensity. And I must also understand that every student has different resiliency quotients. Some students can take many challenges in life, while others may falter from simple challenges. Some students may face difficulty in terms of their mental and academic capacity. Some may be experiencing mental health problems. I want to be able to accommodate them all. However, I must also be hard-handed. If some students do not pass any of their outputs to me but want to pass my subject, we must reach a reasonable compromise for all parties involved. 
        Lastly, I want to have a fun and engaging teaching style. The main goal of the pedagogical profession is for students to learn, and teaching is only possible if students understand everything one teaches. I want to catch the attention of students with my teaching style. If a subject is challenging, I will give them a short break to rest their minds. I want students to look forward to learning in my class.
        There are a lot more characteristics to learn out there, but these three are the foundations I would like to utilize.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal Entry #2: My Teaching Philosophy

Journal Entry #5: What kind of teacher do I aspire to be?